top of page

If you are without housing, if you cannot pay your rent, or if you have received an eviction notice, these organizations may be able to assist you

Johnson County General Assistance
Rent, utilities assistance

CommUnity Financial Support Program (formerly Basic Needs)
Housing and utilities assistance


HACAP Energy Assistance
Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) and emergency response funds for utilities

Shelter House
Shelter, eviction prevention, housing stability

Iowa Legal Aid
Legal help with housing, including eviction

Emergency Housing

Where can I go if I need emergency shelter?

Homeownership Resources

Where can I learn about homeownership?

I want to own my own home


I can't afford a down payment on a home, what do I do?

Where can I get help with repairs and/or weatherization for my home?

Rental Resources

Where can I find an affordable place to rent?

I cannot afford any rental units, what do I do?

  • Housing Authority Housing Choice Voucher Program (HCV), commonly known as Section 8​

    • Families with an HCV voucher choose and lease safe, decent and affordable privately owned rental housing - Apply​ here

  • Iowa Finance Authority Aftercare Rent Subsidy Program

    • For youth aging out of foster care​​

I need help getting enough for a security deposit, where do I go?

Manufactured Home Resources

I live in a manufactured home and it is in need of repairs, who can help me?

I live in a manufactured home community and I want to advocate for myself and my neighbors

If you have other housing-related questions, you may find resources below

I need furniture for my home, but I can't afford it right now

I am returning from incarceration and am having trouble finding a place to live

I have HIV/AIDS and am having trouble finding a place to live


I can't afford to pay my bills right now

I need food in my home

I am an older adult and I want to continue living in my home

​I am looking for accessible and affordable housing

I am looking for affordable senior living

I need help with language translation/interpretation

Not finding what you're looking for here?

Browse the Johnson County Resource Directory

  • Current resource directories include: Abuse Prevention & Services, Child Care Services, Clothing, Crisis Services, Disability Services, Employment-Education Services, Family & Youth Services, Financial Assistance, Food Assistance, Health & Dental Services, Housing, Immigrant & Refugee Services, Legal Assistance, Mental Health & Substance Abuse, Older Adults, Transportation and Veterans Services


Make an appointment with a Navigation Specialist through Johnson County Social Services

  • Call 319-356-6090 8:00am - 4:30pm, Monday – Friday

    • Assist individuals and/or caregivers by providing information, referrals, aid in accessing supportive services and care coordination.

    • Provide advocacy, support and short-term coordination of services for individuals and families.

    • Provide follow up to ensure consumer accessed needed services.

    • Provide application and paperwork assistance for social services programs.

Call 2-1-1 (United Way of Central Iowa

  • Call/Text Hours: Monday – Sunday 24/7

    • Direct: 2-1-1 or 515-246-6555

    • Toll Free: 2-1-1 or 800-244-7431

    • ​Text: Text your zip code to 898211

Decorative: Elderly man and woman standing in front of trees smile at the camera.
Decorative: Family of four walk down a sidewalk holding hands and smiling.
bottom of page