top of page

Rent, mortgage, and utility assistance for households whose income is affected by COVID-19

COVID-19 Housing Assistance Updated 4/21/21

Do you (or someone you know) need help paying rent, utility or mortgage bills due to COVID-19? An online application for financial assistance is available at ASSISTANCE WITH RENT PAYMENTS Past due payments: Available for payments of costs incurred no earlier than March 13, 2020. Future payments: Not available at this time. ASSISTANCE WITH UTILITY PAYMENTS (renters only) For electricity, natural gas, propane or fuel oil, water, sewer and/or trash removal. Available for utility payments of costs incurred no earlier than March 13, 2020. Payments will be made directly to landlords and utility service providers. ASSISTANCE WITH MORTGAGE Up to $3,600 for past due payments (4 months maximum). If you want help applying for this assistance, there are many Johnson County sites offering in-person help! Call any of these sites to schedule an appointment or learn about drop-in times: Johnson County Social Services (319) 356-6090 Coralville Public Library (319) 248-1850 North Liberty Public Library (319) 626-5701 Center for Worker Justice (319) 594-7593 IC Compassion (319) 330-9883 You'll need some paperwork and information in order to apply for the Iowa Rent and Utility Assistance Program.

  • Proof of address and identity If you have a driver license with your current address, that will work for both.

  • A copy of your current lease

  • A written past-due notice that lists the amounts owed. If you are applying for rent, you will need to get this from your landlord. Your utility bills with the current amount owed will work if you are applying for past-due water, electric, etc.

  • Proof of income This can be your 2020 tax form, your 2020 W-2s, the last 60 days of paystubs. Other statements of income may also work; a full list is on the website.

  • The date of birth for everyone in your household, and social security numbers or ITINs for every adult in your household.

Unfortunately, you will not be able to submit your application for Iowa Rent and Utility Assistance until you have all of these documents ready. ​Also, please note: The cities of Iowa City, Coralville, and North Liberty are willing to wait for utility payments from the Iowa Rent and Utility Assistance before shutting off water, but potential recipients must contact their respective city and request forbearance (phone numbers and websites are listed on each utility bill). Still looking for help? Johnson County has many other resources that may be able to assist you. Community Housing Resources Johnson County General Assistance Rent, utilities assistance 319-356-6090 CommUnity Basic Needs Assistance Housing and utilities assistance 319-351-0128 HACAP Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) and emergency response funds for utilities 319-337-5765 Shelter House Shelter, eviction prevention, housing stability 319-351-0326 Iowa Legal Aid Legal help with housing, including eviction 319-351-6570 Food Pantries CommUnity Food Bank 1045 Highway 6 East, Iowa City 319-351-0128 Coralville Community Food Pantry 1002 5th Street, Coralville, 319-337-3663 North Liberty Community Pantry 89 N Jones Blvd, North Liberty (319) 626-2711

Recent Posts

See All

Annual Meeting 2022

The JCAHC Annual Meeting will be held Thursday, September 29, 2022 at 3:30 pm. The meeting will be held virtually on Zoom. To register, please visit


bottom of page